Glenn Mackintosh is the Founder of Weight Management Psychology.
He is a member of the Australian Psychological Society, a fellow of the Obesity Prevention and Treatment Society, and the Queensland representative for the APS Psychology of Eating, Weight, and Body-image Interest Group. Before venturing into full time private practise, he was the Director of Psychology at the Wesley Lifeshape Clinic, and he also consults with Qld Bariatrics patients pre- and post- surgery.
Glenn’s research investigated psychological and social factors and weight management, and he has lectured in weight management psychology, health psychology, and sport and exercise psychology at the University of Queensland, Griffith University, and the Australian College of Applied Psychology.
Glenn has also developed the self-help resources The Complete Reprogramming Series, co-created Weight Management Psychology – Emotional Freedom Techniques for Weight Management Online Program with Professor Peta Stapleton, and developed The Twelve Month Transformation, a group and online program helping people free themselves from yo-yo dieting and develop naturally healthy habits.
Glenn’s passion is in helping people manage their eating, physical activity, weight, and body-image and training other professionals in applying psychological principals to help their clients who are grappling with weight management issues through his sold-out professional workshops, online courses for Personal Trainers through the Australian Fitness Network, and online courses for dietitians in conjunction with Dietitian Connection. He is enjoying spreading evidence-based, weight-inclusive, innovative messages in his practice, the media and public life.
Read a variety of Glenn’s articles here:
Glenn speaking with the 4BC about bariatric surgery:
Glenn speaking with the ABC about hedonic eating:
Mental Health Professionals Network
Glenn presented on an interdisciplinary webinar panel exploring working collaboratively to support mental health of people living with obesity for the Mental Health Professionals’ Network.
- Fiona Sutherland (Vic dietitian) 20.23
- Glenn Mackintosh (Qld psychologist) 12.33
- Professor Phillipa Hay (NSW psychiatrist) 32.02
- Associate Professor Gary Kilov (Tas GP) 7.32
- Facilitator: Dr Konrad Kangru (Qld GP) 00:00
Glenn was interviewed by Kate Agnew of Dietitian Connection about:
- What sparked Glenn’s interest in psychology
- Emotional Freedom Techniques (also known as ’Tapping’) and how it’s used in practice
- ’Psycho-dietetics’ and why dietitians and psychologists need to work together
- Collaboration, curiosity and communication for effective practice
- Glenn’s latest venture – ‘Thursday Therapy’ and how you can benefit
- Mindful eating and martial arts – how Glenn spends his free time
- #Weareallinthistogether: how we can work together to address obesity on a population level
For more Dietitian Connection podcasts, click here.
Australian Psychological Society
Glenn presented a Webinar for the Australian Psychological Society – Psychology, Eating, Weight and Body Image Interest Group on The Twelve Month Transformation – A Non-dieting Approach for Overall Wellbeing and Success with Weight Management:
Global Weight Management Conference
Glenn was a panellist at the Global Weight Management Conference 2015 discussion on whether people can be “healthy at every size”: